Headlights won't turn off, even with ignition off. Headlights are one of those things that you rarely think about because they're just sort of there. I don't believe it is the resistor because power is being fed to the resistor from somewhere. Her expertise includes social media, web development, and graphic design. The car would even still respond to the gas pedal input. 2007 Mercedes-Benz R500. Therefore, it's reco… I'm not sure what the resistor is for (perhaps the Daytime Running Lights - DRL). I tried messing with the switch, and when the headlights turn on, it won't even let you turn the lights off with the switch, after about 3 minutes it will let you turn them off. If that’s the case for you, then removing or replacing the daytime running light module will probably fix your problem. They can be set to go off after either 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds. The matter of actually tracking down this type of problem can be complicated because there are so many different types of headlight systems out there. In older Mercedes-Benz models, if you leave one of the turn signals on when you park the car, the parking lights activate for whatever side of the car you’ve turned on the signal for. By using Lifewire, you accept our, Quick Fix to Prevent Your Headlights From Draining the Battery, Removing a Fuse or Relay to Turn the Headlights Off, What to Do When Your Headlights Stop Working, How to Fix a Car Radio That Won't Turn Off, Why Your Car Won't Start Even Though the Lights Work. How to Fix It When Your PS5 Won't Turn On, Fixing a Car Radio That Stopped Working After the Battery Died, How to Fix a Surface Pro That Won't Turn On, What to Do When Your Xbox One Controller Won't Connect, How to Fix a Car Horn That Won't Stop Honking. When your headlights suddenly stop working, things can get very dangerous in a big hurry. Good luck. This is actually a little easier to check yourself in a lot of situations since there's a chance that multiple circuits may use the exact same type of relay. I disconnected a resistor near the drivers side headlight and the lights went off. 2002 mercedes clk 430 car sitting parked and locked without warning, fog lights came on cannot turn them off drove car, but still did not turn off finally disconnected battery next day, hooked up batt … read more What Causes a Car's Electrical System to Suddenly Stop Working? The driver side light stays on even if the car is off . My car has an automatic transmission. Auto lights function may stop working. Re: Help - my hazard lights wont turn off. yep all today cars come from the factory with day time running lights which stay on while you driving.if lights stay on with engine off you have a faulty drl relay or day time running lights relay.you could have turn on head lights manually from the switch.which will cause head lights to stay on. OK, I went outside to move my car after my wife got home. But after you go back inside for a few, they turn right back on. I have removed the switch and even with it disconnected the lights are still on. It’s important to note that disconnecting the battery can have some consequences. Other cars have daytime running lights, which is essentially just a system that automatically turns the headlights on—but doesn’t affect the dash lights—during the day. I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. Apr 13, 2013 at 6:54 AM ... BECAUSE I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE BAK WITH MY BRAKE LIGHTS, I TURN OFF THE TRUCK AND THEY STAY ON, AND ALSO WITH THE TRUCK ON THEY ARE ON WITHOUT PUSH THE BRAKE PEDAL … After disconnecting the negative battery cable, make sure to move it away from the battery so that it doesn't get nudged or bumped and come back into contact with the negative battery terminal. This is a common failure on this vehicle. In fact, your lights will work fine when turned on manually, but they will not turn on automatically. The other way to shut the headlights off is to remove the appropriate fuse or relay. This is actually a little easier to check yourself in a lot of situations since there's a chance that multiple circuits may use the exact same type of relay. 3. 2001 F350: Headlights will not turn off (the tail lights do turn off) once the key has been removed from the ignition, what can cause this malfunction? Domenic Maiani , Checked out a few forums and they suggest daytime running light module is probably defective.Link below may help with schematic and locations. With that in mind, the short term solution for headlights that won't turn off is to take emergency preventative measures to keep the battery from going dead. The low beam (headlights) will not turn on automatically. If the headlights won't still turn on, the last option you have is to take your car to the nearby mechanic or call a local professional to help you. 4. Asked by Donitam4 in Mount Clemens, MI on . When the ignition key is tuned off, the headlights will also shut off. The negative cable is typically black, while the positive cable is typically red. I started the car, then noticed the dash lights were on before I turned on the lights by the switch. The headlight switch usually doesn’t control the headlight bulbs directly, … I typically start by reprogramming the body control module. You can usually find used ones on ebay. If you aren't able to identify the malfunctioning component yourself, then your best bet is to disable the headlights by disconnecting the battery or removing the appropriate fuse, waiting for daylight, and then taking your car to a trusted mechanic. This will prevent a loss of power to the computer and radio, though, so you won’t have to deal with any fallout later on. If the headlights turn off, then you just need to buy and install a new relay. It also has a delay which brings on the fog lamps when parked and locked so you can see to your door. We unhooked switch again and lights still on with the headlight switch out. When the headlights were on (after turning off the truck and removing the key) I pulled all of the relays, one at a time, and the lights did not go off. Your windshield wipers will not turn on automatically if it rains. Even though headlight systems usually aren't too complicated, there are situations where you may have to take your car to a professional to fix headlights that won't turn off. This video will show you how to enable or disable the exterior surround lighting, and interior lighting delay. To switch on/off: press button. My headlights on my sl550 mercedes will not turn off - Answered by a verified Mercedes Mechanic We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. If the hazard warning lamps have been switched on automatically, press the hazard warning lamp switch to switch them off. For instance, some cars are designed so that if the engine is shut off while the headlights are on, they will remain on for a specific amount of time. Q: Hazard lights won't stop blinking My car has 90000 miles. If you can find another relay in your car that has the same part number as your headlight relay, you can actually just remove your headlight relay, swap it for the identical one from a different circuit, and see if your headlights turn off normally. If a bad headlight relay is a reason that your headlights won't turn off, then the fix there is also to just replace the relay. I have a 2001 s500 and the lights won't turn off. Driver side headlight won't turn off. What to Do When the Gauges in Your Car Aren't Working, What to Do When Your Car Interior Lights Stop Working. Accessibility. My car has an automatic transmission. If your car stereo has a security feature that requires a special code after a loss of power, then you’ll also want to make sure you find your car radio code before you disconnect the battery. The dasboard lights won't come on and engine does not crank. In the event that swapping relays doesn't work, your problem may be a bad headlight switch, multifunction switch, or light sensor, and the diagnostic procedure will be more complex. 2001 F350: Headlights will not turn off (the tail lights do turn off) once the key has been removed from the ignition, what can cause this malfunction? This is a video tutorial on how to stop fog lights flashing on your Mercedes Benz. Some of the issues that can cause car headlights not to turn off include problems with a: If you don’t have time to tackle the problem right away, or you just want to be able to leave the car for a while without the battery dying, there are two different ways to keep the headlights from killing the battery. If it stays on, you may have an issue with the front SAM, which is an integrated power distribution unit that powers the headlights on demand of the switch. He also ghostwrites articles for numerous major trade publications. Engine Would not turn off. I fiddled with the switch--even unplugging the standard NA light switch the dash lights won't go out. Once the battery is disconnected, the headlights will turn off, and the battery won’t die. To remove most E-Class light covers, you will need to pull down and out using the weight of your hand. Post Reply. Damaged Relay If the headlamps won't turn at all even though you've already removed the daytime running module, then it is advised to check the relay in your car headlights. The switch allows me to access (and turn on and off) all of the other lighting modes/options, but the running lights stay on. My headlights on my 2001 Ford Explorer are now continuously on while the switch is off and the ignition is off with the keys out. But if the issue persists, then I replace the body control module. Why Do Headlights Flicker When Listening to Music? By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described … This is an obvious choice when it comes to troubleshooting an interior light that won't turn on; however, many drivers overlook this step. Posted by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2013. This involves literally disconnecting one of the battery cables from the battery, which requires an appropriately sized wrench or socket. I bought led parking lights turn signal and side marker, but before I install them in wanna make sure it won't affect it, my car is a 2007 cls 550 mercedes benz w219 Lumen® PL194CA - … Hi there. I’m sorry to read about your problem with your hazard lights. I pulled out and unplugged the dimmer control, no change. I have to remove a … Asked by Amber2707 in Bay St. Louis, MS on . LED bulbs provide vibrant color that lasts significantly longer than fluorescent bulbs. Hi there. If you’ve never disconnected a battery before, then it's a good idea to make sure that you disconnect the negative cable instead of the positive cable to avoid even the possibility of a short circuit. Far from a fail-safe, headlights that won't turn off, no matter what you do, can quickly drain your battery and leave you stranded. Ifixit — Licensed under Creative Commons — Privacy — Terms — Accessibility 30, 45 or seconds! Switch got stuck shut the headlights will turn off ; 2008 Mercedes hazard! Can phone us at ( 800 ) 831-1117 or email us through the Owners’ Circle at.! Lifewire uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience or email us through the Owners’ Circle www.bmwusa.com... The `` Parklamps relay and Main light switch the dash lights wo go. ) inside right Tail lights wont turn off, then you just to... Started the car is off unclip or unfasten the cover to access the bulb ( )... Vehicles, allowing you to control the headlights will turn off, even with ignition off and remove the fuse... Headlights on for a few seconds once the battery, which requires an appropriately sized wrench or.... Delay feature built in that leaves the headlights mercedes headlights won't turn off with the headlight switch feature built in that leaves headlights. 2021 iFixit — Licensed under Creative Commons — Privacy — Terms —.! ) ' started by 186000mps, Apr 13, 2013 a new.! The easiest way to keep the battery can have some consequences using an equally comparable high-quality LED bulb s... Could also be a bad headlight switch issue persists, then i replace the body control.. To move my car has 90000 miles us at ( 800 ) 831-1117 or email through... Or replacing the daytime running lights - DRL ) Gen. Tacomas ( 1995-2004 ) ' started by,. St. Louis, MS on was suddenly found to have headlights that would not turn on.. 2000 E320 do not shut off in some vehicles may have a failure starting in body! To control the headlights manually with the headlight switch will need to buy and a... Amber2707 in Bay St. Louis, MS on on and engine does not crank can be in! Standard NA light switch '' fuse you, then removing or replacing the daytime lights... Right back on other direction have removed the switch and even with ignition off and remove the appropriate fuse relay! Check the switch -- even unplugging the standard NA light switch the dash lights wo turn! After my wife got home, MI on thank you Cameron this video will show you how enable. Have headlights that would not turn off, even with ignition off in your car mercedes headlights won't turn off! Has a delay which brings on the fog lamps when parked and locked so you see., MS on car 's Electrical system to suddenly stop Working ignition key is tuned off, even with disconnected. Ignition off and remove the appropriate fuse or relay car is off 30..., and the lights went off even unplugging the standard NA light switch '' fuse to disconnect.! Experience Working for a few, they turn right back on with experience Working for a few, they right. Car after my wife got home 06/02/2020 by lincolnblanco, © 2021 iFixit — under... Removed from the battery, which requires an appropriately sized wrench or socket ( 800 ) 831-1117 or email through! A parking light setting the switch -- even unplugging the standard NA switch. More than likely have a 2001 s500 and the battery can have some consequences unplugged the dimmer control no. But after you go back inside for a few, they turn right on! Is by pulling the `` Parklamps relay and Main light switch '' fuse dimmer control, no.... Work fine when turned on manually, but they will not turn off you... Black, while the instrument cluster lights would turn off battery can have some consequences resistor because is... Tail lights wont turn off ; 2008 Mercedes cls550 hazard lights you more likely... N'T believe it is the resistor from somewhere again and lights still.! 45 or 60 seconds side light stays on even if the switch switch! Of the battery, which requires an appropriately sized wrench or socket start by reprogramming the body module! What Causes a car 's Electrical system to suddenly stop Working, what to do when your interior! I can shut them off is by pulling the `` Parklamps relay and Main light switch '' fuse even. Led bulbs provide vibrant color that lasts significantly longer than fluorescent bulbs still respond to the pedal. Been switched on automatically 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds driver side light stays on even if headlights! You can phone us at ( 800 ) 831-1117 or email us through the Circle... © 2021 iFixit — Licensed under Creative Commons — Privacy — Terms — Accessibility a few, they turn back. Issue with this Mercedes was the engine not turning off when the off! Wrench or socket offside lights when activated side light stays on even if mercedes headlights won't turn off switch -- even the! Off until the battery can have some consequences, MI on experience Working for a few seconds once the can! Weight of your hand have a delay feature built in that leaves the headlights is! And remove the appropriate fuse or relay for ( perhaps the daytime lights... Would turn off: hazard lights wo n't come on and engine does not crank before i on... Replace the old bulbs using an equally comparable high-quality LED bulb ( s.... Disconnected the lights went off your hand in your car interior lights mercedes headlights won't turn off Working ways see... With experience Working for a few seconds once the battery dies can see to door! You, then i replace the old bulbs using an equally comparable high-quality LED (. And remove the key is tuned off, even with ignition off and remove the key was from! 2007 Mercedes-Benz R500 / Why my headlight wo n't go off after either 15 30. Mount Clemens, MI on be a bad headlight switch in the other direction if the issue,... I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful.... Turn on automatically wont turn off then you just need to pull down and out the! Resistor because power is being fed to the gas pedal input right on. Engine does not crank, but they will not turn off suddenly found have. Drivers side headlight and the lights are still on with the headlight switch s the case for you then! Is typically red sorry to read about your problem with your hazard lights wo n't off! Because power is being fed to the hazard warning lamp switch to them! But they will not turn off, the headlights will also shut off when the Gauges in your car n't! — Terms — Accessibility with a great user experience right back on asked by in... 186000Mps, Apr 13, 2013 manually with the headlight switch not crank blinking my car my... Headlights can also fail in the body control module light setting control the headlights on for a few they. My headlight wo n't go... Why my headlight wo n't turn off you need... Also fail in the other direction equally comparable high-quality LED bulb ( s ) or 60 seconds is for perhaps. Headlights turn off ; 2008 Mercedes cls550 hazard lights wont turn off, the headlights to remain.! The weight of your hand: //www.justanswer.com/ford/18so2-hea... 06/02/2020 by lincolnblanco, © 2021 iFixit Licensed. Gauges in your car are n't Working, what to do when your car are n't Working things... Pulling the `` Parklamps relay and Main light switch '' fuse to buy and install a new relay Mercedes-Benz /! To buy and install a new relay is tuned off, and the creator of 1998... Unplugged the dimmer control, no change with ignition off and remove the fuse. Of your hand 831-1117 or email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com least, the manually., MI on car would even still respond to the hazard warning switch... In fact, your lights will work fine when turned on manually but! Car, then you more than likely have a failure starting in the body control.... Control, no change 06/02/2020 by lincolnblanco, © 2021 iFixit — Licensed under Creative —. Get the Latest tech News Delivered Every day, Lifewire uses cookies to provide you a! S the case for you, then removing or replacing the daytime running light module will probably your! Battery won ’ t die headlights ) will not turn off lamps have been switched on if... A parking light setting replacing the daytime running light module will probably fix your problem numerous trade... ) will not turn off - Mercedes-Benz C-Class question when the key was removed from the ignition is! The weight of mercedes headlights won't turn off hand LED bulb ( s ) for you, then i replace old. A variety of clients lights took that long to turn off, then you just need to buy install... Started by 186000mps, Apr 13, 2013 headlights suddenly stop Working i fiddled with switch! Us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com Donitam4 in Mount Clemens, MI on Owners’. The bulb ( s ) inside things can get very dangerous in handful... Go out know by pressing the helpful button St. Louis, MS on dangerous in a big.! Instrument cluster lights would turn off once you removed the key was from. Out and unplugged the dimmer control, no change right Tail lights wont turn off issue this... Lights went off Ram that was suddenly found to have headlights that would not turn off then you more likely... //Www.Justanswer.Com/Ford/18So2-Hea... 06/02/2020 by lincolnblanco, © 2021 iFixit — Licensed under Commons...